Resources for student projects.
Informatics dissertation information
Intersting email lists for people interested in TULIPS type discussions. Note that some lists are limited to the University of Edinburgh staff and students and others are limited to people in Scotland.
- Informatics Security-privacy list - Used for internal discussion and advertisement of local security and privacy events related to Informatics.
- SICSA Cyber Security list - Scottish list of cyber security researchers. Used for advertisement of Scottish events, discussion, and job postings.
- SICSA Human Computer Interaction list - Scottish list of human computer interaction researchers. Used for advertisement of Scottish events, discussion, and job postings.
Evaluation and ethics
Writing the thesis
- Thesis Template
- Gantt Charts
- pgfgannt LaTeX package makes it easy to put a Gantt chart into your proposal.
- Example LaTeX and PDF of the Gantt Chart of a multi-year project.
- Scientific Paper Writing - A Survival Guide (scanned selection of book) provides a
nice introduction to writing scientific papers.
When writing your introduction first read the book's section on abstracts which is very detailed with many examples. An introduction is nearly identical to an abstract, just longer and more detailed.
- Past UG4/MSc Dissertations.
- Dissertations supervised by Kami Vaniea:
- Peer Proofreading - Service for non-native English speakers who would like someone to help proofread their writing.
Each project is different, but there are a couple of famous papers in Usable Security and Privacy that are often cited for broad statements about privacy, security, and usability.
A white paper, or technical report, is a document that is published without being reviewed by a third party. Often companies will use white papers to publish statistics or report on incidents that they see. These papers are excellent places to find statistics about security.